Training Material for ODB++ SPECIFICATION?

ODB++ Solutions AllianceCommunity forumODB++ ForumTraining Material for ODB++ SPECIFICATION?

This topic has 4 voices, contains 5 replies, and was last updated by  sgdavies 540 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
3 February, 2013 at 2:23 am #2350

yanfeng

I don’t think anyone can technically understand ODB++ only by solely reading Mentor’s ODB++ Specification 7.0 which was written in 2010.

I really think Mentor should provide detailed training material to the public industry to promote ODB++.

Yanfeng

7 February, 2013 at 7:45 am #2380

arvindramaswamy

I agree… the specification document is 295 pages and the explanation / examples given is very vague and not self explanatory… its high time Mentor Graphics provided a better version of the spec or some other training material to support it, as suggested by @yanfeng

8 April, 2013 at 10:24 am #2478

Mattylad

I agree – that would be a good idea and also forward the use of ODB++ by a greater understanding of it.

A specification is one thing, something that explains the specification is another and would help those that need to work with ODB on a regular basis.

When trying to resolve ODB++ issues it becomes a very long read going over my head because its a tech spec rather than explaining how ODB++ works.

I would welcome some further info on the spec.

9 April, 2013 at 7:22 am #2480

sgdavies

I don’t think it was ever in Mentor’s business plan to spend that much time on it, buying a “oven ready” de-facto intelligent standard, but now that IPC-2581 is snapping at its heels with it’s single file intelligent XML standard, maybe Mentor might do something extra that Valor did not, who knows?

9 April, 2013 at 5:38 pm #2484

Mattylad

I doubt it was originally.

However now that they are actively pushing ODB++ with the alliance it would IMO be good if they did.

Its not enough to simply make and ODB file then open it in a program – many of us want to be able to dissect it too – to understand it.

Like we do with Gerber. :)

10 April, 2013 at 7:28 am #2485

sgdavies

Greetings Mattylad, I recognise you from the PCB Libraries forum. Of course there is software out there which was designed to import the ODB++
1) Wise – VisualCam
2) EasyLogic – PCB Inspector
3) DownStream Technology – CAM350 with DFM
4) ADIVA

of course you have to pay for this software, to dissect it etc, maybe using something like this, its possible to get a better understanding?

What is important for us PCB designers to understand? layers stackup, materials, drills,components/heights/info, Nets.

• This reply was modified 540 days ago by  sgdavies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.