ODB++ Solutions Alliance Community forum ODB++ Forum Translation failed! eif_cadence-583004-Some required files are missing.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Will DeRousse 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, we are using ODB++ Inside to generate our ODB++. When run directly from Allegro (File->Export) it has worked well for us.

However we are attempting to automate our tools and have not been able to successfully run ODB++ Inside from the command line.

I have read the PDF that comes with the software.

This is my command line argument:

%ALLEGRO_BRD2ODB%\brd2odb -ijp <path_to_brd>/board.brd -jp <path_to_brd> -jn odbjob

When we run the software we get the following error message:

“Stage 1 of 1. Translation failed! eif_cadence-583004-Some required files are missing”

I have tried many different command line arguments with no luck. I have specified the paths both explicitly and tried running from the folder the .brd file is located. No luck.

The following environmental variables are set:

ALLEGRO_BRD2ODB=C:\MentorGraphics\ODB++_Inside_Cadence_Allegro\brd2odb_102
    BRD2ODB_TMP=C:\Temp

Software Versions:

Windows 10
    Allegro 17.2
    ODB++ Inside 10.2

Any idea what I’m missing here?

Max Clark

Will,

The ODB++ Inside translator is dependent on extract files generated through the use of the ‘extracta’ program which is part of Allegro. The part you are missing above is the generation of these files which are typically completed by the valor_ext.il skill that is provided. With those files missing you will get the message above. So what you need to be able to do is perform extracts prior to using the ODB++ Inside command line you have above. The files extracted we will refer to as the “.out files”.

The first step I would take is to see if I can get the intended ODB++ generation flow working within Allegro. If I have that working then in the same directory as the .brd file will be the .out files. If that works then I would try to get the ODB++ Inside command line to work. Once you have that working, then the missing part is generating the .out files yourself.

The valor_ext.il is written in Skill which is a form of a programing language called Lisp. The purpose is to generate a file by the name of valor_view.txt that is then passed to the extracta program. The valor_ext.il creates this file and deletes it at the end. Search for “deleteFile(extractfile)” and comment or delete this line, then perform the translation with Allegro. At the conclusion you will find the valor_view.txt file along with the .brd and .out files.

Within your Allegro installation directory search for the “extracta.exe” program. There you will find an extracta.txt file that will contain a listing of all its flags. But in simple terms the command should be something like:

extracta design.brd valor_view.txt compsout geomssout layersout padsout pinsout propsout netsout connout pinsoutside zone

This is for Allegro version 17.0 or greater. When you have this right the extracta program will create a set of .out files based on the last saved design in the .brd file.

You certainly can make this work as others have done so already for sure. However each implementation is somewhat unique and this is the most detail I can provide via this post. Hopeful the details I have provided will be sufficient for you to move forward.

Regards,
    Max Clark

Hi Max, okay there are some additional steps needed before running brd2odb. I will follow the outline provided here and follow up if I have any more questions. Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.